Thursday, May 22, 2014

Goodbye AP Biology

AP Biology: One of my favorite classes of all time

Wow... it's hard to believe that AP biology is almost over.  It seems like only yesterday I was sitting at my computer typing out my first blog entry (I thought I was so cool).  I'll never forget those two trips to the zoo looking for an example of a heterotroph and an animal with a two chambered heart.  I also found one of my favorite books of all time that summer while doing an extra credit reading assignment.  Our first weeks of biology, I remember we were studying ecology and talking about the biodiversity of life.  We've come a long way since then. :)  Together our class discussed human stupidity and talked about things we need to change.  From ecology to evolution, we talked about Darwin and his theories.  We talked about species and natural selection.  I will forever know how to do a Punnett Square and solve a Hardy-Weinberg Problem.  I have also learned about cell structure and membranes and phospholipids and that the nucleus is not the most important organelle!  I really enjoyed learning about diffusion and osmosis in a whole new light because they are not the same :)  I really enjoyed the cell unit, because it amazes me that our bodies are made up of these tiny little cells that work together to give me the ability to do anything.  We ended the year talking about various concepts that would be on the AP test and I had an especially great time making cupcakes for the functional groups :)  

This class was so beneficial to me!  I would definitely recommend this class to anybody and everybody who isn't afraid to work hard and be challenged.  This was a wonderful class that I learned so much in!  I was really able to understand a wide range of concepts while studying for the AP test especially.  Oh! and just because this was an AP class, do not let that scare you!  Mr. Landry is one of the best teachers at Sparta High School and will help you do well in this class!  I could talk all day about how beneficial this class has been.  During my senior year I took two college classes: anatomy & physiology and principles of  chemistry.  AP biology was a perfect combination of anatomy & physiology, chemistry, and biology.  I feel so prepared for college and I am so excited to be going into the science field!  I am so glad I took AP biology.  It was the best class decision I have ever made.

So I guess this is it...my how the time has flied.  I guess the last thing there is to say is don't give up on anything that you care about, because anything that is important is going to take some work but you will make it :)

Have a great summer y'all :)

~Em  

No comments:

Post a Comment